Monday, May 11, 2015

#15 It's a Wonderful Life

FILMS FOR THOUGHT

By: Alex Holzum

                                                                

    For my last blog post, I want to bring attention to my favorite movie to watch around Christmas time, It's a Wonderful Life (with Elf close to follow).  This movie warms my soul every time I watch it.  This movie has a great message that is always a great reminder of how much there is to be thankful for in life.

    The movie revolves around the life of George Bailey (played by Jimmy Stewart).  We see his early life as a courageous and well-behaved boy who had big dreams.  Various events in his life caused him to not accomplish all that he had hoped.  All of this seemingly wasted potential and feelings of regret boil up when George gets into a major financial pickle that sends him into a midlife crisis that leaves him wishing that he had never been born.

    At this point in the movie we meet Clarence: George's guardian angel.  Clarence is able to show George what life would actually be like if he had never been born.  George realizes that everything that he loved about his life, would not be there if he did not go through the struggles that he endured.  During Clarence's lesson, his wife has no idea who he is, his town is owned by his nemesis, and his children do not exist.   George realizes how blessed he is in a fit of happiness at the end of the movie.  This scene almost makes me cry every time.

                                                Image result for it's a wonderful life

    This movie seems to get better every time I watch it.  In fact, I did not even like it when I was younger because it was in black and white and I thought it was boring but now I get excited every time my mom says that it is time to break out the old VHS recording of it that we have.  It serves as a great reminder of how I need to be grateful for the people and opportunities in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment