Thursday, March 5, 2015

#6 Tarzan

FILMS FOR THOUGHT

By: Alex Holzum

    Up next we have our first Disney movie!  This just so happens to be my favorite Disney movie.  All of the music is by Phil Collins...enough said, blog post over.  But really, the music is fantastic; "You'll Be in My Heart" won the Oscar for best original song in 2000.  I discovered how hilarious and heart-warming this movie is over last summer when my younger cousins made me watch it about twice a week.

    I think I have a soft spot for animated movies that directly deal with death (not so much the ones where death happens before the movie begins: Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, etc.) and loss because I also
love UP and The Fox and the Hound.  Well, Tarzan parallels the losses of a baby boy and a gorilla.  I instantly love Kala (mama gorilla) because she is willing to take in and risk her life, marriage, "jungle cred", etc. so that this boy does not die out in the wild.  All of thecharacters are either very funny, protective, sweet, or all of the above; of course there is the exception of Clayton (he's just awful).  One of my favorite scenes/quotes is when Tantor (Tarzan's elephant friend) is a congested mess of a baby elephant.

   
    We get to see how this strange relationship affects Tarzan and the people around him as he learns the ropes (or should I say "vines"?) of jungle-living.  Then, the other humans come to the jungle.  The father in this movie is absolutely hilarious and Jane is just so nice and smart that you can't help but love her and want her to take Tarzan under her civilized wing.  This movie is filled with action, adventure, great relationships, and music.

I really hope everyone has already seen this one; if not, it's never too late.





No comments:

Post a Comment